Sowald Sowald Anderson Hawley & Johnson

Columbus Legal Blog

Contentious or not, custody has to be discussed

Child custody is a contentious topic for many people going through a divorce. When it comes up, it often feels as if it is a war. One parent may try to get as much custody as possible without considering how that would affect the other parent's life with their child.

Today, many courts prefer to see parents who share custody as equally as possible. The reason for this is that children do better when they have two parents supporting them, even if their parents are separated. Having both parents support them and being able to communicate with both parents is important to a child's overall mental health.

Are you concerned about finding the right custody attorney?

You know that very soon your life will change substantially because you and your spouse have decided to end your marriage. You may have automatically begun thinking about all the affairs you need to get in order and how to best protect your children from the possible negative repercussions of going through child custody proceedings.

Of course, you likely know that you do not have to try to navigate the Ohio family law system on your own. Because you want the best outcomes for your children, you certainly also want to find the best legal counsel to help you throughout your case.

Get your financial documents together before you bring up divorce

Divorce is among the hardest things you'll have to do in your life. If your marriage isn't going to work out, a divorce may be the one right thing that you and your spouse can do for one another. However, it can be complicated, even if you don't have kids.

There are many different factors that you need to consider before going through your divorce. One is whether or not you know everything about your spouse's finances. If you don't, then it can be hard to know exactly what you want to negotiate for.

Learn about alimony and what you can do if you need it

When someone seeks alimony, the cause is usually because they need financial support to live comfortably after divorce. One spouse, for instance, might make $67,000 every year. The other might make $25,000. To make up at least some of that difference, alimony can be ordered.

Even a small amount, like $5,000 a year, can make a huge difference to someone who has a lower income than their significant other, especially if they can't improve their financial situation right away. Alimony, which is normally temporarily assigned, can help support them while they go back to school or work to improve their own financial situation.

Mediation could be the right choice for your case

No one wants to fight, especially at the end of a marriage. You've both supported each other in the past and the idea that you'd both begin to tear each other down during a divorce isn't something you'd be happy with.

The good news is that couples who are willing to work together can do well even during times of conflict. For example, if you and your spouse decide to divorce and largely agree on how to divide all your assets, you may only need a few mediation sessions to resolve any conflict you have.

Does your chosen career make you more likely to divorce?

People get divorces for all kinds of reasons. Whether it's because of money problems, personal differences or infidelity, no two divorces are alike. However, researchers say that there are common factors that can sometimes predict whether a person is more likely to get a divorce.

If you are married and have a career here in Ohio, you might feel as though work has affected your relationship. According to experts, you could be correct. There are certain jobs that correlate with higher rates of divorce.

Divorcing? Here's what to take to your attorney

A divorce can change everything in your life, separating you from someone you've shared years of your life with and letting you start over. Depending on the side of the divorce you're on, this might be an exciting prospect or one that terrifies you.

Fortunately, your attorney is there to help support you through your divorce, no matter how you feel about it. When you decide to divorce or are served with divorce papers, you need to reach out to your attorney right away. This is when you can begin collecting information about your assets and collect any evidence you need against your spouse.

When should you consider changing your custody arrangements?

When you and your ex-spouse divorced, you set up a custody plan that was great at the time. Your child was young, so you split your time relatively evenly and made sure they always had someone with them.

Now, your child is getting older and more independent. As a result, they've come to you and said they're tired of going back and forth so often. They want to stay home to play with friends on some days and on others, they want to go to school events or to other activities.

Do you want to keep your home after your divorce?

Divorce is a complex process, and it will have a significant financial impact on your future. However, it is also an emotional process, and your feelings may lead you to make decisions that are not necessarily in your best interests. One of these choices may include keeping the family home for yourself.

The house is one of the most valuable assets that your family has. You may not want to move or move your children out of the house where they live, but there are important factors to consider when making choices that will impact your future. If you believe that this is the right choice for you, it may be possible to buy out your spouse's share of the home.

Mediators can help you get through a divorce dispute

Many people who consider divorce mediation do so because they believe that it's in their best interests to try to work with their spouses to come up with resolutions to disputes during divorce. Some people decide not to try mediation for fear of the other party being aggressive or hurtful, even though mediation could help reduce the risk of further conflicts.

Divorce mediation has a few purposes. One of those purposes is to help you resolve disputes and to come to mutual agreements. Another purposes is to teach you and your spouse how to better communicate without having a lasting breakdown in communication.

400 South Fifth Street Suite 101 Columbus, OH 43215 Toll Free: 888-609-8912 Phone: 614-556-4231 Fax: 614-464-2035 Columbus Law Office Map

Back to Top