Ohio Family Law Attorneys Who Bring A Civil Approach To Every Case
Ending a marriage or relationship is no fun. One of the best things you can do during this dark hour is work with family lawyers who understand what you’re going through and have the legal and people skills to guide you on the path to a fresh start in life.
At Sowald Sowald Anderson Hawley & Johnson in Columbus, that is what we are all about. Our divorce and family law clients come to us scared about what will happen to them and their children. Our breadth of knowledge and experience is the result of over 200 combined years of legal work. You can turn to us for a range of family law issues, including:
- Separation and divorce: This includes ending a marriage or trying out a separation period.
- Child support: Making sure your child has the financial support they need and deserve
- Child custody: Protecting your right to parent your child and spend time with them on ordinary days and special occasions
- Spousal support/alimony: Helping dependent and supporting spouses determine fair support
- Post-decree modifications: When you need to update a court order, we can help you.
- Grandparents’ rights: Sometimes, grandparents have to enforce their rights to visit their grandchildren.
- Domestic violence: In an abusive situation, we will get you the help you need.
- Same-sex family law: Enforcing the rights of LGBTQ individuals and couples in Ohio
We know the local courts and opposing family lawyers. We will work to create realistic expectations about the outcome of your case so you can make the decisions that are best for you.
Child Custody Is An Important Part Of Family Law
Child custody is a primary concern of most parents who are divorcing. In Ohio, each married parent has the right to visitation at the minimum, unless it jeopardizes the child’s safety. However, unmarried fathers need to establish paternity before seeking custody arrangements, as the state automatically grants an unmarried mother full custody. If the father has established his rights, judges prefer to award joint legal and physical custody when possible and do not give preference to the mother. Custody arrangements can also have an impact on child support. Generally, the more time a child spends in a parent’s custody, the less child support the parent has to pay.
Finding The Right Family Law Attorneys
Hiring the right lawyer can make a big difference in the progress and outcome of your case. Below are our attorneys’ recommendations about choosing a family law attorney.
Do you have to hire the first family lawyer you meet with?
Of course not! You have the right to research and consult as many attorneys as you wish until you find the one that seems the best fit for you. In fact, we encourage it.
How can you pick a family law attorney?
There is no shortage of law firms in the Columbus and central Ohio area. When choosing a firm, you should consider some factors such as:
- Their case outcomes
- Their honors and awards
- The reputation of their lawyers
- How many years of experience they have
- Whether they can litigate a case
If you can find a firm that has these attributes as well as a friendly, personable team, then you have probably found the right match.
What are the responsibilities of a family lawyer?
Family law attorneys have many tasks that they perform for their clients. Some of the most important include:
- Explaining your rights
- Explaining your options
- Providing realistic expectations of the outcomes
- Advocating for your best interests and the interests of your family
- Communicating with the other party’s attorneys
- Responding to emails, calls, and texts promptly
The services that you expect from your lawyer will depend largely on the details of your unique situation. When you sit down with an attorney in a consultation, have an honest discussion about how they view their responsibilities to you.
What can you expect from working with our family law attorneys?
In addition to providing the duties mentioned above, you can also expect outstanding client service. We believe in keeping matters as civil as we can, but do not hesitate to be aggressive when the situation calls for it. Our team will listen attentively to your side of the story, allowing us to develop a strategy and deliver a solution. When working with you, we take the time to build a relationship so that we can help you with today’s challenges as well as your long-term goals.
Contact Our Experienced Family Lawyers
Even in a difficult situation, your Ohio family law attorney can help you. We provide information and resources to help our clients understand their situation and to reassure them that there can be a happy life for them and their children on the other side. To set up your initial consultation, call 380-217-3322 or email us using this online form.