How can you find a missing parent?

On Behalf of | Apr 9, 2019 | child support |

Sometimes, parents who owe money somehow disappear. They don’t want to be responsible for the children they helped bring into the world, and they leave them behind while shirking that responsibility.

For the custodial parent, it’s hard to handle the reality that the other parent won’t pay support willingly. They may also not know how to start when asking for support. The good news is that Ohio’s Child Support Enforcement Agency does help those who would like to locate the parent who fled without considering their responsibilities.

How does the Child Support Enforcement Agency help?

The Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) can help you find the physical location of the noncustodial parent. Then, CSEA can help identify if that parent has an employer, income or assets so that they can provide you with that information for the next step: Enforcing or establishing a child support order.

There are several services that are used to find noncustodial parents. These services include:

  • Ohio’s Bureau of Motor Vehicles
  • The United States Postal Service
  • Ohio Department of Job and Family Services records
  • The Federal Parent Locator Service, known as FPLS
  • Ohio New Hire Directory
  • Internet Search Engines

As you can see, these and other services give the CSEA a good place to start when looking for the noncustodial parent. In many cases, it’s just a matter of time before they can be found and identified. Then, it’s possible to serve them with court documents and enforce any child support order against them. You deserve to receive the support that your child needs, and the CSEA is a good place to start.