If your first warning sign that divorce is coming is when your spouse tells you he or she wants to split up, odds are you have missed something along the way.
You're not alone. There are often a number of early warning signs, but people tend to overlook them. In some cases, they try to ignore them because they want the relationship to last. In other cases, they just do not think that things are as bad as they really are.
Below are eight examples of potential warning signs:
- The two of you never want to spend any time doing things together.
- One person has a serious problem with drugs or alcohol, which is potentially an addiction.
- The tiniest little things that you disagree on become serious arguments or even fights.
- The two of you do not communicate well at all. It could be that you're just apathetic about your communication, or one person may intentionally avoid important conversations.
- You keep on drifting apart. You used to get along and talk easily, but now conversations are strained and you do your own thing.
- You do not care how the other person feels.
- You look for excuses to spend your time anywhere but at your house. For instance, you work long hours even when you don't need to.
- One person has a volatile temper. It makes the other person feel like he or she is walking on eggshells all the time.
Do you and your spouse have issues that threaten to end your marriage? If so, make sure you are well aware of all of your legal rights.
Source: Prevention, "11 Early Warning Signs Of Divorce Most People Miss," Elizabeth Jenkins, accessed June 15, 2018